I conducted a survey on people's opinion when it comes to television and politics. It has a total of 33 participants, with 54% male and 46% female. The majority of the survey participants live in France (21 participants out of 330. Although the age range is quite varied: 14 individuals between 18 and 25, 14 over 50, it would have benefited from answers in-between those two age categories. I decided to also include individuals who live in the UK, as their answers show current trend in politics happening worldwide. Here are the answers translated in English when necessary.
What is your opinion on how politics is covered by television in the country you live in?
- Has improved over the past few years as journalists are less subservient than they used to be and ask pertinent questions. France tends to be obsessed with politics but we tend to only hear about the big parties: PS, LR, FN. I only found out recently that there are about 50 presidential candidates - and that was on the Internet not on television.
- Biased, focus on one main party, not across the political spectrum.
- Medias are forced by the law during electoral period to give each candidate an equal speaking time. But appart from political elections time, medias are always covering the biggest and not small political parties which is not allowing them to make their ways.
- Not enough debate, too much gossip on important politics, too bias
- Television in the UK is overtly right wing...there is obvious bias in favour of the right on programmes like Question time, C4 News. Laura Kuensberg's constant attack on Jeremy Corbyn is another indicator of where the BBC stands politically. Any reporting on foreign wars/conflict also toes the government and particularly US line. Whatever happened to investigative journalists like John Pilger. We give publicity to the Syrian Obseervatory of Human Rights (one man in Coventry) and the White Helmets...a US funded organisation, for who strong doubts exist regarding the authenticity of its reports from Syria.
How often do you watch politics on television?
What do you use other than television to inform yourself about politics?
What are the main reasons for your answer?
France
- Easy access at all times of the day. You have to know when television programmes are scheduled, at what time in order to watch. Otherwise, you have to remember to catch them on Pluzz before they disappear.
- I don't own a tv (my parents do) and I'm always on my computer and on social media
- On the internet, you can see a lot of different opinions, whereas on TV, I think you can't.
UK
- I have news apps, but I try to keep updated through any means necessary
- More in depth, more time to read.
- I like to get at the truth, which means gathering evidence from various sources and making my own mind up


No comments:
Post a Comment